Monday 21 June 2010

I know it's Father's Day, but...

First of all, the only jewellery my dad wears are cufflinks, and I've had my mom's bracelet to repair for about four months now. So, I spent Father's Day rebuilding a Mother's Day bracelet!



The focal point is the three letter cubes, made from sterling silver. The whole bracelet is threaded on two lengths of nylon-coated wire and finished off with a bar and loop clasp. One of the wires had broken off and some of the beads lost, so I decided to replace all of the smaller seed beads to keep them consistent and supplement the larger 4mm Swarovski bicones and fire-polished Czech beads with some more from my stocks. The whole theme is gold, green and brown, all colours that suit my blonde mom beautifully!




This is the second repair for this bracelet. It's well constructed with tough materials and well finished off... but mom insists on wearing it all the time, everywhere. To bed, when washing up, when in the bath... and handmade jewellery isn't meant to take that kind of abuse! But it's a pleasure to remake it every time knowing that it's been worn out that way.

The photos aren't as nice as I would have liked - I need to get a better light source and work on the white balance on the camera again. Like finishing off the tigertail, there are some things that have grown a bit hazy from lack of use.

The other thing I'm working on is a maille kit from Beadsisters, which so far is mainly making me wish I had more smooth-jawed pliers!

No comments: